Tuesday, April 3, 2012

PETROSSIAN-WEST HOLLYWOOD


Think of Petrossian in West Hollywood as everything you'd want in a Restaurant all rolled into one; Superb service, as in your water glass never empty, beautiful minimalist decor (loved the white chairs by the way!), and great modern french inspired cuisine...oh...and did I mention they specialize in Caviar?  Oh yes, those tiny, gorgeous black pearls enhanced every single dish. 

Transmontanus Caviar is  nutty, smooth and robust at the same time, similar Ossetra (My favorite of the Caviars), and I was really happy to have found a substitute if you will, that will lessen the whole in your pocket, yet still indulging in those amazing flavorful little pearls.

Our group was unanimously delighted with Petrossian, the service was attentive, thus not pretentious at all, with a waiter always close by, that would anticipate our every need. I am a sucker for good service, and Petrossian definitely delivers.



Egg Royale
Scrambled Egg, Vodka Whipped Cream, Caviar

The Egg Royale was simply amazing... I know other famous restaurants also have their version, and will eventually try those as well, but Petrossian's was sublime... you could really taste the Vodka in the Whipped Cream.  This starter was super creamy, a hint of booze is always welcomed of course, as is the caviar for a nice nutty, salty addition to finalize the dish. A definite hit.


Blinis
Caviar, Trout Roe, Salmon Roe
 
Classic and traditional combination... From left to right we have: Salmon Roe, Transmontanus Caviar, and Trout Roe... I was surprised that I really liked the Salmon Roe as much as I did, with a hint of smokiness, delicious.


Classic Cold Borscht
Warm Yukon Gold Potato, Chives, Crème Fraîche, Caviar
Classic Cold Borscht, a Ukrainian soup, also widely consumed in Russia and Poland, was a refreshing continuation of the meal.  A nice contrast with the Warm Yukon Gold Potatoes, Creamy Creme Fraiche, and nutty caviar, with a notable hint of citrus.  Needless to say, you must love Beets to love this dish, so if you do, this is not to miss.  
Tomato soup
brioche, 2-year aged white cheddar, and caviar

This soup was in the tasting menu, which I opted out of, however, I did get lucky and got to try the amazing Toasted Brioche with the tangy, semi-strong White cheddar and ample amounts of caviar!
I really wished I could have asked for some to go!... these were comfort food on steroids, with a lot of class.  Who would have thought to put caviar on a sandwich?
But these are not your ordinary sandwiches... the bread is thinner than your usual sliced bread, and toasted to a buttery perfection, with an amazing tasty strong,nutty cheese and caviar...I am definitely going to figure out how to make these at home!



Napoleon tartare
Transmontanus caviar & flat iron steak with Porcini sauce, sauteed mushrooms, Fresno chili, spring garlic, onions, and herb salad
Our main dish (we all opted for the same, as great minds think alike, right?) LOL, was the only slight, and I really mean slight disappointment of the night... the Steak Tartare was a bit under seasoned we thought, however the Flat iron Steak, cooked rare was flavorful, well seasoned and delicious, and nicely accompanied by the Porcini Sauce and Sauteed mushrooms.
The Fresno Chilies were not as spicy as I would have hoped, but did add a hint of heat.



Foie Gras Ice Cream
Raspberry Jam, Brioche, Honey, Sea Salt


Foie Gras (duck liver) in an ice cream??
Oh yes! it was soooooo good... very rich, creamy and sweet; You could really taste the Foie in it.
I just wished I could have grabbed that Brioche, made it into an ice cream sandwich! LOL
It was that good.
I've read reviews that say they don't understand why the Brioche is there... I think It did add another texture and element to the dessert, and the Raspberry was a nice fruity touch that added a bit of freshness if you will along with a bit of tartness to cut thought the rich, buttery flavors.

I can't wait to come back to Petrossian, next time I will get the Tasting Menu for sure... I left very happy both service-wise and with the Cuisine.

I also want to note that they were very willing to make changes to the Tasting Menu's, something other restaurants just don't do.

 

Petrossian Boutique & Cafe on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment